It seems that in Texas allergies “season” is year-round! I hardly know anyone who is not affected by seasonal allergies and the constant sneezing, itchy, runny nose and eyes, and sniffles.
For kids, it has become the new “normal” to have the sniffles several months a year and to take Claritin and Zyrtec daily.
Truly healthy children should not take any prescription medications and should be free of any symptoms, full of energy, eating, sleeping, and growing well.
These are my top 5 non-prescription seasonal allergies recommendations for children.
1. Anti-inflammatory diet: eliminate processed food and add “whole foods”, like vegetables, fruits, healthy fats from nuts, seeds, fish, olive oil, avocado, fermented foods like kefir, sauerkraut, kimchi, kambucha.
2. Nutritional supplements: quercetin, vitamin C, omega 3, probiotics, vitamin D3. Two of my favorite non-prescription supplements for allergies are “Snifflex” (for kids) and D-Hist (for adults)
3. Nasal saline washes. My favorite nasal spray for children: “Xlear” (nasal saline with Xylitol)
4. Environmental interventions: have kids wear a baseball hat when they play outside, have them change their clothes and take a shower as soon as the come in and use Xlear nasal saline washes 2-3 times/day, especially after spending time outdoors.
5. Other healing modalities: homeopathy, acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine, Ayurveda, chiropractor care, essential oils.